This is probably one of Valentino Rossi’s most recognizable helmets – The Chicken.
The Chicken helmet was created to celebrate Valentino Rossi’s ninth World Championship victory in 2009, which he secured at the Sepang circuit that year.
The design features a wide-eyed cartoon chicken on the top of the helmet which is laying an egg with the number 9 printed on it. The helmet is a joke that is poking fun at Rossi’s age, he was 31 when he won his 9th World Championship and the helmet is based on the old Italian saying “Gallina Vecchia fa buon brodo”, which can be roughly translated as saying that old chickens are only good for making broth, as they don’t lay eggs.
Despite his age, Rossi was saying that he had managed to lay another egg with his 9th World Championship title.
The Chicken design was initially made available as a replica in the high-end AGV GP-Tech range as a limited edition, but now it is available in the much more affordable AGV K3 range. The AGV K3 range takes many of the learnings and features that AGV have gathered from their research and development work into creating their high-end helmets, and applies some of the features in a more flexible way for everyday road use. The K3 is a great way to get a helmet that looks like a race helmet (aggressive and aerodynamic lines) without having to break the bank on price.
Official description: AGV K3 Rossi Chicken helmet:
Using AGV’s CAD design process the inner E.P.S. shell is made of different densities, to match the properties of the outer shell, giving the K3 excellent safety characteristics. Also the shape of the shell reflects the aerodynamic design of the range topping GP-Tech whilst being focused on the needs of the rider on the road; reduced wind noise and excellent stability at speed.
The K3 is equipped with twin front ram air intake vents, and an aerodynamic rear spoiler/extractor. There are also vents on the side to aid extraction of warm air from around the face area, and a large chin vent to aid visor de-misting. The K3 is equipped with AGV’s street8 visor. The visor features the XQRS (extra quick release system) enabling visor changes in seconds without the need for tools. The street8 visor also features the NFS (no fog shield) anti fog coating, an anti scratch coating and offers 100% protection from UV light.
The K3 has a fully removable washable lining (both cheekpads and head lining). The liners are made from Dri-Lex, this liner has excellent wicking properties keeping the rider comfortable and dry, even in the extreme conditions. The linings are also treated with a hygienic antibacterial coating for prolonged freshness. The K3 is also fitted with a Micro-Metric buckle for ease of use with a range of adjustment. The K3 is also available in the K3 basic version, this model still features all the K3’s safety features without some of the luxury features to keep the cost incredibly low.
- HIR-TH (high resistant thermoplastic) resin shell
- Multi Density E.P.S. inner shell.
- Dynamic ventilation system, aerodynamic front intakes and rear extractors
- Fully removable, washable Dri-Lex lining with Sanitized antibacterial hygienic treatment. (K3 basic; Dry comfort liner replaces Dri-Lex)
- Street8 visor, with NFS anti fog coating, anti scratch and 100% UV protection. (K3 basic no anti fog coating)
- XQRS; Extra Quick Release System, visor changing in seconds with no tools.
- PVS Perimetrical visor seal (improved sealing and low noise).
- Micro-metric adjustable retention system. (K3 basic seat belt style buckle)
- Aerodynamic rear spoiler/extractor. (K3 basic no rear spoiler)
- Removable chin curtain (K3 only)
- Removable nose protector (K3 only)
- S.H.A.R.P. 4 stars
- ACU gold
- Exceeds UN ECE 22.05
- 2 year warranty plus optional free 1 year warranty extension
- Sizes XS-XXL
Video review of the AGV K3 Chicken helmet by MotoSport.com
Image gallery of the AGV K-3 Valentino Rossi Chicken Helmet:
|Get the AGV K3 Chicken helmet at Amazon|
|Get the AGV K3 Chicken helmet at Revzilla|
|Get the AGV K3 Chicken helmet at MotorcycleSuperstore.com|