This is the AGV Pista GP Valentino Rossi Soleluna helmet that Rossi wore for the opening round of the 2015 season in Qatar. It is slightly different in design to the regular SoleLuna helmet that would become his design of choice for the rest of the season.
The SoleLuna Qatar design doesn’t have the Monster Energy logo, and some of the colours used are darker than the other SoleLuna designs.
As usual, the design was created by long-time Rossi helmet designer, Aldo Drudi and it uses the familiar Valentino Rossi ‘Sun and Moon’ motifs to great effect. The front of the helmet is taken up by the sun, with its rays cascading back towards the rear of the helmet, which features a dark crescent moon.
This design, coupled with the sharp AGV Pista shape, really gives an aggressive look to the helmet.
The Pista GP helmet is basically the top model in the AGV range, and it is equally at home on the road or the racetrack.
Official description for the AGV Pista Valentino Rossi SoleLuna helmet:
The Pista GP is the revolutionary new top of the range model. Developed in collaboration with Valentino Rossi and other riders from the World Championship Series, the Pista GP sets new standards in terms of protection and ergonomics and is the benchmark for professional race helmets.
The carbon fibre shell and the EPS internal components were optimised using FEM techniques (Finite Elements Analysis) to obtain an extremely high performance helmet in terms of size, light weight and protection. The result is a helmet that is significantly superior than the limits set by ECE standards and that weighs just 1275 g (refers to MS size in the ECE 2205 version).
The entire ventilation system was designed using computational fluid dynamic modelling and wind tunnel tests. This helmet is highly efficient at removing heat and moisture from the rider’s head. Thanks to its large rear spoiler, the Pista GP boasts first class performance in terms of aerodynamic penetration and high speed stability. Overall, the visor aperture is 9% bigger meaning a 15° improvement in vision which obviously enhances the active safety factor.
The fit of the Pista GP was developed using “Human Engineering” whereby the design starts from the surfaces in contact with the wearer’s head. The inside of the helmet starts with a concave 3D structure that is pre-shaped to match the contours of the rider’s head and any surfaces in contact with the head are stitch-free. The Lycra® and Shalimar® sanitized internal components are fully adjustable due to the fact that the position and depth of the crown pad can be modified as can the thickness of the cheek pads. The combination of these solutions, which are covered by three separate patents, make the Pista GP fit the different cranial shapes as never before.
- The residual impact force transmitted to the head is reduced by 36% compared to the limit established by ECE regulations.
- The HIC index is 48% below the limit established by ECE regulations.
- The basic visor movement area has been reduced by 71% compared to the GP-Tech helmet. This allows use of the space saved to increase the thickness of the absorption material, benefiting safety.
- The visor is Class 1 optical standard approved for excellent vision.
- The field of vision is 15° wider and the overall visor window area has increased by 9% compared to the previous helmet, without compromising its level of protection.
- The Z-Lift index has been reduced by 44% after wind tunnel tests.
- The air intakes have almost tripled in size, whereas the entire ventilation system of the PistaGP helmet removes heat and moisture very efficiently. The padding has a 3D concave structure, which is preshaped according to the morphological characteristics of the head, while the surfaces in direct contact with the head are free from stitching for guaranteed comfort.
- Thanks to its “from the inside out” design, the structural components of the helmet are designed to provide the required performance while minimizing size and weight.
- The frontal cross section has been reduced by 3% and the lateral cross section by 6% compared with the GP-Tech helmet.
- The fit of the PistaGP helmet, covered by three patents, provides an extraordinary high level of comfort and adaptability to different shapes, unknown up to now.
Here is the Revzilla review of the AGV Pista helmet:
Image gallery of the AGV Pista GP Valentino Rossi Soleluna Qatar 2015 Helmet:
|Check out the AGV Pista Soleluna Qatar helmet at FC-Moto|
|Check out the AGV Pista at Amazon|
|Check out the AGV Pista at Revzilla|